Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mis-machined Flat Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrash

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2007
US
Designing a vessel to ASME BPVC Section VIII Div 2. We have a flat head (SA-516 Gr 70) that has geometry as shown below:

Code:
 ________
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
 >       |   (These v's are RTJ grooves for a flange face)
|________|
 ________    (This is a thru-hole in the center)
|        |
 >       |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|        |
|________|

The RTJ grooves were mis-machined. The way we see it, there are two main ways to fix this. I have questions about each.

First - we could weld repair the part. I cannot find an applicable section of the code that specifically applies to repairs due to machining errors (i can find weld defects, material defects, etc). Can anyone provide code guidance?

Second - we could machine out the error and make the thickness where the flange mates thinner. My question here is which thickness does the standard AD-702(a) calc apply to? t1 shown below, or t2? We were using t2 (conservative). Since there are provisions for area reinforcement (which we would meet) and partially drilled holes (which we would meet), wouldn't this groove fall under one of those two? Does anyone have experience with this?

Code:
DETAIL OF RTJ GROOVE

|                                   |
|<--------------- t1 -------------->|
 \                                  |
  |<------------- t2 -------------->|
 /                                  |

Replies continue below

Recommended for you