Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Misprints in Blodgett's Books or other texts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2023
GB
I recently received one of Blodgett's books (the 1976 version of Design of Weldments) from a used book store. I did not buy directly from the publisher, James F. Lincoln Foundation, because the shipping costs to UK are minimum $115 for a $25 book). Going through the book, I found there are at least 8 pages scattered throughout the book without printing on them. The preceding and following page numbers indicate that blank pages should not be blank (confirmed via pdf comparison) so this is a printing error rather than wear and tear.

Through this process, I learned about bookjackers/dropshippers: sellers who copy legitimate listings on one website and on another website list and sell those items (they don't have in-stock), only buying the item from original seller and raising the price post sale for "extra shipping costs" etc. On a positive note, between the misprint errors and the fact I had actually ordered Design of Welded Structures (not Design of Weldments) the sale was refunded. The seller didn't want to pay return shipping from UK to US, so I now have a misprint of the wrong book for free, which isn't a bad deal.

As I hope to get error free versions of Blodgett's books, Can anyone else share other printings/editions of Blodgett's books that are error free (or printings with errors to avoid)? In particular has anyone had issues with the 1976 printing of Design of Welded Structures?

Edit: I guess this question could be expanded to include any relevant reference material.

One example: Cobb's "Structural Engineer's Pocket Book", while very useful once corrected, is infamous for proofreading errors and typos in the second and third editions. I think more care was taken for the first edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back