Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing SA182-316Ti / SA312-316Ti material for flanges forging / pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelDexter

Mechanical
May 26, 2014
PL
Hello All
I have in data sheet for storage tank acc. to API 650 a flanges forgings with SA182-316Ti material
Flanges acc. to ASME B16.5
I can't find this material in ASME SA182 standard
Is it a "shortcut" or I have old version of this standard ?
What is full name of this material ?
I dont have this material in my calculation program unfortunately - Visual Vessel Design

The same situation is with pipe SA312-316Ti, it is missing in ASME SA312 standard

Thanks for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MichaelDexter, in ASME Sec II, Part D, I find a plate material SA-240 316Ti UNS S31635. No forging. I would think it does not exist in B16.5 either.

You are going to have to work this out with whoever prepared the data sheet.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

It's there. ASME standards are identical to the base ASTM standards (except ASME are SA- and ASTM are A)by design. Grade 316Ti is prominently featured in the last version, (S)A182-16.

ASME standards are identical to the base ASTM standards (except ASME are SA- and ASTM are A)by design. Grade 316Ti is prominently featured in the last version, (S)A182-16.

This is an incorrect statement and what leads to assumptions. ASME decides on what if any part of the ASTM specification is applicable. Look at Section II, Parts A and B. Some specifications are nearly identical others are not. Certain grades of materials listed in the ASTM specification may not be listed in the SA specification.

Thanks for advices. I am waiting for inspection certificate for these materials. When I receive it, I will be 100% sure that these materials are present on market. Thanks all

The world is full of things you can buy. Not all of them are suitable for pressure vessel work.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

MichaelDexter
The grade of 316Ti S31635 is only listed as a forged product form in the 2015 Edition of ASME Section II, Part A, SA-182.

This alloy is commonly used in Europe, but rarely in the US.
It wouldn't surprise me if only a few product forms are covered.
We encounter his is tubing, people want an odd grade to an ASTM, but it is only covered by spec in it's home region.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

This material is used for tank manufacturing in Polish refinery, his number if I remember is 1.4571
My question for certificates is without answer
Thank for answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back