Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

mixer/blender? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8

Materials
Jul 21, 2008
SE
I have a coating which i buy from a well known supplier. I have to homogenize the coating when i receive it, because of the settlement of ceramic compounds in the bottom of container. To date i have been using a kitchen blender in the lab for small experiments. Now i am looking for a blender/mixer which can handle a minimum batch of 1 gallon and which is more practical than a kitchen blender. i want some mixer/blender in which 1) i can adjust the speed (rpm) of the mixer/blender 2) it should be easy to empty and fill again (unlike a kitchen blender where i need to clean it every time for each batch) 3) the design should be such that no air bubbles enter the coatings easily

viscosity 3.5 poise (required)
coating type BN HardCote (ceramic coatings)
volume 1 gallon
temperature 20 C (room temperature)
type of mixer?

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.[Albert Einstein]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What size containers does the coating come in? The typical paint shaker mentioned by unclesyd can handle one gallon cans. If the quantity will vary and/or exceed a gallon then maybe a simple mixing paddle/blade that can be driven by a variable speed electric drill is the answer.

Mixing paddles are a shaft with a stirrer blade on the end that most commercial/industrial paint suppliers stock. They are usually long enough to reach the bottom of a five gallon bucket. Properly used, keeping the turning blades submerged in the paint, air entrainment is minimal.

Once mixed, are you using a stirrer (paint) pot to keep the solids in suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back