Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mixing reclosers on the same pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Baker

Electrical
Sep 15, 2023
US
My utility traditionally installed the same oil controlled reclosers on a 3-phase pole (example three 100A V4L hydraulic reclosers).

Recently we have stopped installing OCRs and switched over to programmable reclosers such as the Versa Tech and the TripSaver (in addition to 3-phase electronic reclosers like the ViperST).

S&C discovered an issue with the TripSavers for lightly loaded taps. We had originally installed 200A TripSavers and then started encountering units that did not go through their full reclosing sequence and drop open. Apparently there was never enough line current to fully charge the capacitors and over time they degraded to the point they would not charge up at all.

I am having "discussions" with my peers about mixing TripSavers on a 2 or 3 phase tap to match the line current. For example I have a 2-phase line where 1 phase runs a short distance and serves maybe 10 residences. The other phase continues on for a much longer distance and serves 90 residences. My argument is that I should be able to install a 40A TripSaver on the lightly load phase and a 100A TripSaver on the heavily loaded phase, as long as they are programmed with the same settings.

My question is this: What is your company's philosophy on multi-phase reclosers when it comes to size? Do you always have the same size unit on the different phases, or do you allow mixing up the sizes? If so do you require the same settings?

Thanks

Bill.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Three phase line. We have a fuse on A phase which feeds all customers where the line splits to the east to residences.
a 70V4E on the B phase tap that goes about two miles before it has the first customer where it drops to single phase and feeds quite a few customers.
We have a 35V4E on the C phase line that feeds a few of chicken houses and some residential. This is way back in the country where protection trumps standards like making sure all three reclosers are the same size.

Moving to CMRs now that are user programmable with the curves and amps of your choice. And no oil which is a bonus.
2A2C settings on the reclosers to coordinate with the fuses better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back