Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ML Hand Rules of Thumb for Structural Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBlackBeard

Aerospace
Apr 21, 2022
US
I was recommended ML Hand's Rules of Thumb for Structural Design a long time ago by my old manager. I had the 1993 photocopied version. I have since found the Version 3-6 on the internet, so it looks like this document has been updated over the course of decade or more. Such as here:
The document layout is great (short, clear statements with confidence ratings) and I find it worth rereading, despite it not having good sources for most of the statements.

Does anyone know the history of this document? My guess is that it's was from a MacDonald Douglas employee.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gemini says Mark L. Hand of Lockheed.

Author Name: The initials "ML" match perfectly with "Mark L."
Book Title: The title "Rules of Thumb for Structural Design" aligns with the field of aircraft structural engineering.
Available Resources:
Hand-Rules-of-Thumb-V3-6: A document titled "Hand-Rules-of-Thumb-V3-6" appears online, referencing Mark L. Hand's 25 years of experience working with composites, primarily at Lockheed. This document likely relates to the book you're looking for.
Therefore, it's highly probable that Mark L. Hand is the author you were searching for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back