Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modal analysis of fibre reinforced polymer

Status
Not open for further replies.

olofg

Structural
Nov 23, 2006
SE
Hi!

Im new to this forum and this is my first question.

How does the fibres influence the result of an modal analysis of fibre reinforced polymer? The parts that i'm simulating has a complex geometry with lots of small ribs. Moldflow analysis show that the directions of the fibres vary from coherent to incoherent. I guess that the stiffness vary with the directions and the coherence of the fibres but i don't know the influence of the result.

Are there any litterature on this topic?

Regards/
OlofG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably need to start simply with a text on orthotropic plates, but your basic assumption is correct. Stiffness varies with direction of the fibers. You can probably find some graphs online at various University websites. Try University of Delaware or University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Both have large departments working in this field.

I will say, however, that it sounds like you are using short fibers as opposed to continuous fibers. Short fibers will generally behave more like an isotropic plate since the direction of the fibers is difficult (impossible) to perfectly predict. In this case, you generally "smear" the properties of the fiber and resin and use these "smeared" propeties in an isotropic plate formulation.

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back