Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model centric

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwest

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2003
CA
I'm trying to put all product data into the model with the goal of not needing a drawing. I need to put information such as Weld symbols, GD&T, Material, Paint specs and so on. The data must translate using STEP or IGES. Any help will be appreciated. Any one else have success with a similar project.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your problem is the translation. None of the translation software specs cover all of the things you want to put into your model, so they don't get translated.

Get a copy of the STEP or IGES stanadrds and you will see waht they specify for translation entity types. Then compare what the spec says with what the exporting system says they translate. This is the maximum that will be imported, since the import system may not read all of the exported data.

UG even fails in certain areas. With IGES, UG has NEVER claimed to import the same data they export, round-trip the data. I have been on UG since V3 and they have been saying that round-tripping the data is not a good test for translator spec testing as long as I have been using it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back