model review

Status
Not open for further replies.

essenwood

Chemical
Mar 6, 2003
AU
Hi all,
Can I get some additional info on what to look for during a model review in the Detailed Engineering Design phase of a new plant.
What I had done before was matching the 'for construction' P&ID with the model, checking for piping and equipment layout, accesibility of valves, height of manually operated valves from grade, accesibility of maintenance equipment into the plant, location of drain points, vents points.

Can someone add a few more, please. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Manway access/provisions: Can it be removed (or if davited can it swing without obstruction)? If on a deck is there room for tool/part laydown? Does the blind flange have a lifting lug?

Is there enough room on the deck or platform for the crew size required to inspect/repair?

During contruction and shutdowns what large components will need to be set/removed with a crane? Where will the crane be? How big is it? Do I have enough room to get equipment in/out, set it down and/or remove from plant?

Do I need to remove piping and equipment to do major work? Especially components not associated with the task in hand.

The link that "grandnobi (Mechanical)" gave above is a very good document. Along with that one there is a companion document which also needs to be considered.

I think these two documents will answer the critical questions of "Who, What, When, Why and How" for 3D Model reviews.

The important thing to remember is this: There are two different kinds of "Model Reviews" and there are multiples of each.
First there are "Milestone Model Reviews" of which are held at the the percent complete milestones as defined in the documents above. (Note: your company may elect to modify the number and the project timing)
Second there are "Client/Project Status Model Reviews". These have no defined number or timing. The Client will visit the Engineering at any time, but normally at least once a month and want a "Status" report. (This is also sometimes called ""A Dog and Pony Show") This type of "Model Review" is the Clients Right. Yes! It does interrupt the smooth flow of work in the office but it can be managed. It may also disclose critical issues about the project before its too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back