Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Model rotor blade search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplot

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2001
US
I am renewing my search on how to go about finding a plastics firm that could provide me with some test units of a model rotor blade that I need for a new type of flying Autogiro Rotorkite that I am patenting. The blades on the rotor would be 24 inches long x 1/4 thick and 1.5 inches in width. The top of the blade of course has a wing type curvature to it and the bottom of the blade is made concave. I am producing these blades now from the proper size of Poplar wood and using a portable power sander clamped to a bench. Works very good but I need to find out if there is a plastic (or other materials) that would work as well as my nice light poplar blades and yet could be mass produced and at a much cheaper costs. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some direction for my problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JPLOT-
To answer your question, yes there are many plastics or composites that could be used to manufacture your rotor blade. Do you know what kind of stresses and so forth that would be involved? How about temperatures and evniromental conditions?

Where in the world are you? How many parts do you intend to produce? Do you have the financial ability to take this product to production and a distribution and marketing capablity to support it? What market are you after? Kid toys must be super tough and cheap. Adult toys can be expensive if there are serious followers but the market is limited. Lots of questions before you take the next big financial step. Plan on $50,000 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back