Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model Sketches in NX 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew2323

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2007
US
I have a sketch that I've drawn on one of the surfaces of my 3D model. (The sketch represents a boundary that the vendor needs to pay attention to.)

Now I'm making my drawing and want to know if it's possible to make this sketch visible in my drawing view so that I don't have to recreat the sketch on the sheet of the drawing.

Thanks!
Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah just add your sketch curvers to your model reference set or make a special reference set that includes these sketch curves. Then use this special reference set in your model.

Depending on what version of NX you are using (as from NX7.5) you can also choose to create the sketch on the view on your drawing.

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
Cad Environment Coordinator
Wärtsilä, Propulsion Services
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

@SDETERS,

Good advice. Thanks! Is is possble to use one Reference Set in one Drawing View and a different Reference Set in another Drawing View? I am unable to figure out how to do that at this time.

@nutace,

Are you suggesting re-creating the model sketch entities in a drawing view sketch? If so, that seems rather labor intensive for this day and age.

My thought on this is put your sketch on its own layer. Then you can use the "special" reference set. Then use layer visible in view and turn that layer off in the views you do not want to see the sketch in. Maybe someone else has some better advice on this.

Matthew2323 said:
Is it possble to use one Reference Set in one Drawing View and a different Reference Set in another Drawing View?

No, only 1 reference set can be in use at a time and all drawing views use that reference set. If you only want to see the sketch on certain views, you can put it on its own layer and use "layer visible in view" to selectively hide it.

If this sketch is only for 1 drawing view (and is not important to the model file), I think nutace was suggesting that you could forgo creating it in the model and only draw it on the view where it was used (please correct me if I'm wrong here, nutace).

www.nxjournaling.com

So, I put the sketch on a different layer and then made that layer visible in the view. Nothing appeared... I made every layer visible and the only thing in the view was the model. Something in the settings perhaps?

Yes, we need the sketch in the 3D model so that we can provide it to our vendor in a format they can utilize. Otherwise, sketching on the drawing view would perhaps be a better option.

Are you using the master model approach (model is a component in the drawing)?
If so, make sure the reference set you are using contains the sketch and the model was added with the "original" layer option (right click the component, Properties -> Assembly -> layer option). Now go to Format -> layer visible in view, select the view in which you want to see the sketch and make sure the layer the sketch is on is marked as visible.

Alternately, the sketch may show up in views where you don't want it. In this case repeat the above steps (for layer visible in view) and make the sketch layer invisible.

www.nxjournaling.com

you'll need to have the sketch layer selectable in the drawing as well, otherwise you can't pick it to dimension it, visible in view, does only that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back