Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modeler - linking profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

obviousguy

Structural
Dec 12, 2001
US
This question will probably just demonstrate that I have absolutely no understanding of Modeler, but here goes anyways.

Is there an effective way of linking Modeler (microstation/J) profiles that are not in the same plane? Or linking a sketched profile to a feature surface? ie give me something to work with!

I've tried sketching profiles onto a block - ensuring that the block doesn't change (changing the block screws it up since the profiles are not actually "attached" to the block) , which more or less works, but is very cumbersome.

Any help would be appreciated - including help on finding a good reference text.

Thanks

obviousguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know this is an old message but I just saw this this today.

Have you tried to check on the "settings>locks>full>acs plane"?
Are you used to using "accudraw" tools for 3D? Look into the key-ins for "Accudraw".

It sounds like you're having trouble w/ snapping lines to different planes in 3D mode.
I hope this helps, even though its 7 months late.
Then again no one gave no tip.
later....

Wow. I'm glad I left the "notify me of post" option on, or I would have never gotten your response. The problem was never with snapping to a point, or a plane. The problem was in linking two profile sketches together, such that modifying say, the y coordinate location in one profile would affect the appropriate change in the other profile - and the associated features. Doing this in Inventor, for example is a real snap.

I was never able to resolve this, and other issues to my satisfaction, and since Bentley has so far seen fit not to issue an update to Modeler (will they ever?), I've dropped it for now.

Best regards to you, and thanks for the response - if you think of anything, or know something about re-release of Modeler, please let me know.

I take it that a fence stretch wouldn't solve your problem becuase the fence doesn't hold in 3D? If that would help, I hear in the next release, which is MicroStation V8... the fence will hold in 3D. Aside from that ... I couldn't offer any more help.

I hope the fence stretch is the answer because V8 would be your solution. I saw a live demo of it. It seems pretty good but it promises more than it can do. I saw one or two problems. Then again there is no perfect software.

Sorry in advance if I didn't bring anything to the table.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back