Modeling 2 PC Concrete Pole in PLS-Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmmoncada

Structural
Jan 5, 2021
US
Hello,

I am trying to model a 2 pc prestressed concrete Transmission pole using PLS-Pole Software. Based on the structure drawings I have a different GL moment for each of the concrete pole sections. The top section of the pole is 44ft long and has a GL moment of 523k-ft and the bottom section of the pole is 105ft long and has a GL moment of 3214 k-ft. The poles will be installed butt-butt and will be connected by a Steel slip joint splice.

We need to model the pole as 1 pc since PLS-pole can't analyze earthquake loads on a 2pc/spliced pole. Currently, we are assuming that the GL moment for the top pole (524 k-ft) is the capacity for the top of the bottom pole. However, we are having issues getting the pole to work at the splice location.

My question is the following: is it acceptable to assume that the pole will act as a single member and calculate it's capacity based on the GL moment of the bottom section (3214 K-ft) to calculate the Max. Ultimate Tran. Load (i.e., 3214 K-ft/(Pole Height Above ground - 2ft)) to use in PLS-Pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back