Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling a Wind Turbine Blade in Pro-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

khuram87

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2011
PK
Hi all,

I am modeling the blades of a wind turbine in Pro-Engineer, but I dont have it any dimensions etc.

What I am doing is:

1. Simply extruding a cylinder for making it reference for a COS (curve on surface).
2. Making a COS through the Style Option.
3. Making a Surface sweep and simply giving it a thickess.
4. Extruding another cylinder for removing material from the 1st one. (I wanted the blade to be offset from the main shaft.)

I wanted to know that:

1. Is there any way I can make a Reference surface (as there are reference modes in the Sketching Option)?
2. Is there any better way to model this blade?

Awaiting replies.

Regards,

Khurram.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would definitely use a variable section sweep. Create a datum curve for the inner edge of the spiral (be it from a cylindrical equation or through some points). Then do the same for the outer edge location. Use both of the datum spirals as trajectories for your VSS, selecting a variable section. For a sketch you can either define a line, which would produce a surface, or you can draw a rectangle, producing a spiral with a thickness. If you make a rectangle make sure not to use any horizontal or vertical constraints, and be sure to constrain the shape to the 2 trajectory ends.

Check out the attached file, it was made in Creo: Pro5 so hopefully you can open it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=40f0b924-053d-4314-a408-63fdfb81ecfd&file=spiral.prt.2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back