Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling an Outlet Structure using multiple rect. Orifice/Grate outlets instead of individual weir ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Finch Jr EIT

Civil/Environmental
Jun 10, 2024
US
Peter, I thoroughly enjoy your discussions and posts. I took a certification class back in 2004 which was a two-day seminar. Best learning experience ever!
On another note, I am modeling a compound weir for my outlet structure, with both discharging through the primary culvert barrel, Device 1. I would like to know if the program discerns between weir flow and orifice flow? I do see the report stating that the outlets are limited to weir flow as low heads. Does the program calculate this automatically and also am I able to model my weir outlets as "orifice/grate" as opposed to a sharp crested weir. Does this make a significant difference in my total outflow. Please see attached example.
Note: I also have my calculation settings to dyn-sto-ind mode to take my headwater and tailwater into effect considering my culvert pipe is discharging into an existing pond.

In summary, I am concerned that I should be modeling my outlets as weir flow separately.

Much Thanks, Martin Finch Jr, EIT

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=597c7062-f171-47b7-85be-00de487043ed&file=orifice_grate_flow.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back