Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling concrete piles in slope stability analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning2geotech

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2019
US
In Slide2, is it realistic if the concrete piles are modeled with high cohesion (half of unconfined compressive strength) and high phi? I feel like that will completely ignore the possibility that the failure surface can slice through the concrete piles and render the analysis unrealistic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More to it than that. You have to consider the shear/bending capacity of the pile. My approach is to use slide (LEM) to calc the stabilizing load, then design the pile for that load.

In principle, if you are using the Mohr-Coulomb model to represent your materials, then the concrete would be treated just as any other material you have defined in your slope stability model, and if the pile is not too rigid, the slip circles will indeed go through the pile not just around it.

Having said that, there is a lot that software like Slide cannot account for which renders the full use of (C) unjustified, especially if you are studying a shoring system. I normally design the pile based on the reactions I obtain from a structural analysis of the retaining system, then verify the global stability using Slide.

In the absence of a structural analysis / evaluation, I would recommend limiting C < 2000 Kpa and phi < 35. For micropiles, I would recommend a C < 1000 Kpa. These values have been observed to be reasonably conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back