Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling Flexible Spot Weld in Workbench or Classic Ansys 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

agdyp

Mechanical
May 11, 2006
US
I want to find strength of a spot welded joint using Ansys Workbench. The weld needs to be flexible.
If modeling of flexible spot weld is not possible in workbench, how do I model it in classic Ansys.
Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful to me.
Thanks.
-agdyp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

if you need special-type of connectivities between nodes, I think that the best way is to insert some COMBINation elements where you need to. I don't know which COMBIN could best suit your needs, try looking at the Help file of ANSYS Classical.
Note that you can insert "non-Workbench" items in a Workbench analysis, just like you would do if you wanted to insert them in Classical using an APDL routine: simply add the routine in a "Command" object in Workbench. Only note that, because WB will first enter /Solu in order to perform some preconditionning, you have to start your APDL Command with a "/PREP7" statement, and end it with a "/SOLU" one. Note also that elements, constraints, etc, created by APDL will not be visible in the WB graphical interface.

Regards

Agdyp,
Ansys enables you to easily make spotwelds with the SWGEN command. There's a very good section in the Ansys documentation on doing this. Do a search for "spot weld" and you should come up with it. It gives an example input as well as shows doing it via GUI. Consider using BEAM188's or an element of the like to join your two regions. I think the commands for direct spotweld generation are new as of V8 or V9 so if you have an older version you may need to go about doing this by more traditional methods. Not sure what options WB offers for making spotwelds.

Good luck,
-Brian

Hi!

I believe you can insert very easy a "point" feature in the ansys design modeler. Workbench creates automatically a spot weld from this points. I will have a look at ANSYS at work tomorrow.

Best Regards .... Stefan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back