Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Heat Exchanger Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodler3D

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2020
US
Hi,

Is it a valid assumption to model sections of a heat exchanger individually for an explosive event? In the picture below, if rupture takes place in the head, is it appropriate to ignore the shell side as the tubesheet would isolate the explosion within the head? For those experienced with hydrocarbon explosions, does the tubesheet do a good job of completely isolating the forces of an explosion?

unnamed_cwfs50.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are not sure which parts to include in the model, try several levels of simplification. It will be interesting to see how this influences the results. But with proper boundary conditions it’s likely that you won’t have to model the rest of the structure.

@FEA way, I have old hardware (a 5 year old, 4 core workstation), so a suggestion was made to model the head separately. Based on the limited number of research articles on the subject, it appears that the tubesheet isolates an explosion in the head or shell (ex. PVP2014-28893). Note: This is a training exercise.

Hi!
I agree with FEA way. Start with the Head alone if you think the phenomenon is confined to that single item. Take some time for thinking how to model proper Boundary Conditions.
Do you have any result benchmark to compare your results to? That will guide you (sort of).
If you don't get a correct answer, then check BCs and loads. If they are correct it means you have to model a further section.
This is the first time I see this problem but when investigating impacts against some kind of structure this was the only approach which worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back