Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling of Clevis Pin Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pachard

Mechanical
May 30, 2012
CA
Hi all,

I am trying to model a connection between a clevis-type two-force member (a placeholder for a tensioner-type part) and a bearing mount: I already have a model of the part running with pin constraints at the mounting points, without the clevis part, but I want to capture the sort of directional reaction force applied by the two-force member.
I haven't found a good way to connect these two parts in such a way that no moment gets transferred in the pin axis.
Here are the methods I could think of:

1. Model a solid pin, define glued interface between pin and parts: this would work without too much hassle, but would transfer a moment between the parts.
2. Model a solid pin, define contact interface with realistic coefficient of friction between the two parts: I want to stay away from contact interfaces to reduce computing time.
3. Modeling the interface as mesh elements: I could maybe create a small mesh, connecting the faces of part and clevis, with a decent radial stiffness but with no rotational stiffness.
4. Somehow use the coupling options to define a relation: I think this could work but I have no experience using this method.

Has anyone had success modeling such an interface? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I figured I would bump this question as I'm looking into this part again.
The method I intend to use now is to work out the reaction force at the 2-force member using a FBD, and applying that directly to the model (i.e. removing the dummy link from the study). I'll have to apply a rotational constraint at the lower pin constraint, and verify that I'm not getting too much torsional stress in the z-axis in that area. I don't expect this to give very realistic deformation, but should be useful for weight relief nonetheless.

Any suggestions are helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back