Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling of Reinforced Concrete / Concrete in Stability Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeel7

Civil/Environmental
Nov 28, 2010
PK

I am using Slide v 6.0 and Geostudio 2004. I am facing problems in modeling of concrete. I have modeled concrete as a material both on slope and as a retaining wall. Is this a right approach for stability analysis or any other possible means for that. Any related information would be helpful.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks

The mentioned thread (closed) is very helpful.

I would like to mentioned some points stated by GeoPaveTraffic.

"I agree that any structure must be designed for the forces that act on it. However, I do not in general believe that a slope stability program can be used to determine those forces. The exeception is when you have an active slide, i.e. F.S.=1.0. Under those conditions the stability program can be used to determine the forces acting on a stucture being constructed to stabilize the slide."

My stability analysis indicates F.S below 1 without concrete. How can i determine the forces against which i should design concrete for the portion as mentioned in previously attached file. Let me show another sketch showing some forces obtained from Slide to get higher F.S, is this is correct approach to design the concrete i.e along slopes approximate 70KN/m2 and on vertical facing 140 KN/m.

Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ee0455bc-3a1b-47ee-8f60-c79f62a99422&file=pic2.png
Thank you very much. Deep Excavation Analysis thread will hopefullt serve my purpose.

My situation is that i have to stabilize the slope for long term conditions by providing concrete mat as without that it won't be stable.

I will use following approaches for analysis:

1. I will use less cohesion value i.e around 500 kPa
2. I will try to see the results by providng concrete weight surchage.

Thank you

In slope stability I'd model the concrete using self weight and shear strength of the concrete.

The shear strength of un-reinforced concrete is about Sqrt(Compressive Strength).

I'd run the analysis with and without the shear strength of the concrete (but use the weight).

A little late with my comment - why not introduce soil nails onto your slope? or tieback wall at the toe of the slope?

Your conhesion is a bit on the high side - if you have profiles on the rock, I find that Roclab (by Rocscience) is a good way to check your soil parameters. Could be handy with future projects.

Can you really mobilize the shear strength of the concrete? Wouldn't the slide want to go over the top of the concrete, or else push it along, sliding on whatever it bears upon? A slightly deeper circular slide might just lift it, instead of shearing through it. SixDegrees' suggestion to run the analysis with weight of concrete only would provide a lower bound on FS.

(I made a similar comment on that other thread.)

Right, that's how it needs to be, PEinc, but his second drawing (resembling my tie-dyed shirt) showed his critical circle apparently trying to go through the concrete, not over it or under it.

It's not that white box wherein it is written "140.00 kN/M" (sic)? I had thought the right side of the box is the material boundary, but upon zooming in on it, it looks like that could just be dimensioning, and not a boundary.

Or maybe the lateral pressure of 140 represents the sliding resistance of the concrete on its foundation. Correct, PE, if what's on the slopes is the concrete's dead weight, it should be vertical.

If I have done the numbers right, 70 kN/m2 is the weight of about 3 m of concrete (3 m * 2.4 tonne/m^3 * 9.81 m/s^2).

Adeel7 - Are you still there? Please explain the pressures.

Thank you every one for nice discussion.

Yes in second pic no concrete is modeled as layer. You are right that 70 KN/m2 should be vertical as concrete weight will acts in vertical direction. But it will destabilize the slope. Thats why I have modeled it normal to the slopes which simulates to some extent the anchors.

At the bottom i have tried to used point load of 140 KN/m (equivalent to the resultant of a wall) or Uniformaly distributed load can be used.
I think by this approach, we can atleast get pressures or in simple means its a back calculation. So we can try to stable the slope by providing surcharge and then design the concrete/anchors etc according to it.

@ PEinc. 3 meter concrete is uneconomical option thats why this may not be a good solution for such stability problems. What i finally decided is that i go with combination of some backfill and retaining wall. Though it is still uneconomical but depending upon the importance of the project. Its Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back