Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling overflow weir in EPANET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Sep 14, 2017
US
I am modeling a rural irrigation system, and the way the system is designed, they have placed stand pipes in the the sub-laterals that have weirs built into them. The weirs act as a kind of pressure sustaining valve, and force the upstream HGL up, and don't allow water to move down stream unitll the water spills over the weir. I have tried modeling this with a PSV, but Im having issues getting it to work.

My attempts at using a PSV valve all end with the model giving me an error that states the valve cannot deliver the pressure. The model is a simple dead end line with expected demands at delivery points. The weir structure is in the middle of the line, and divides the line up into two pressure zones. I have tried putting two junctions in the line, with a the PSV between them. The junctions have the pipe invert elevations at the point, and the PSV is set at a PSI that would be equal to the pressure at the upstream invert when the water is flowing over the weir. In this case, I used 6.4 psi to simulate the weir being placed about 14.5 feet up in the stand pipe.

Could someone look at the file and let me know if I have made a dump mistake somewhere?
Thanks,

The file can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back