Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Pipe Flow in HEC-HMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Horowitz

Civil/Environmental
Jun 16, 2017
US
I am working to analyze the impacts of a proposed development within a previous storm water design. I have the report that was prepared for the original design and the report includes the HEC-HMS output results and basins schematic, which shows an upstream pond conveying metered storm water through a pipe and into another pond. I do not have the HEC-HMS files to use. There is quite a bit of input data available for me to start building my HEC-HMS model and am waiting for additional information regarding the HEC-HMS model to come my way, hopefully the HEC-HMS files which will be a big help on my end. The HEC-HMS basins schematic shows a junction immediately downstream of the first pond and a pipe connecting to the downstream pond. The only flow to the pipe is from the upstream pond. A couple of questions:

1. What would be the purpose of placing a junction between the pond and the pipe?

2. I assume the pipe is used for routing the storm water through a reach; how are pipes modeled in HEC-HMS, particularly in situations like this, and is it possible to model pressure pipes in the software?

Thank you very much for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From your description I interpret the junction joining one pond to an existing storm drain system so to try to answer your questions:

1 - Junction, the junction is required to combine flows from different sources and you will need this junction to model the combining of flow hydrographs.
2 - Modeling Pipes, Look into the documentation of HMS to see how to route hydrographs through pipe. It's been a while but I think Kinematic Wave have pipe options for routing. I suggest that you read the HMS manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back