Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling RC flat slabs using plate elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonycampos88

Structural
Aug 22, 2013
US
I am trying to design a RC flat plate simply supported on concrete walls. My question is how would you advise me to model these supports?

Right now I just have my slab supported on pins at every node where I know there is a bearing wall. The problem that I am having with this approach is when I check shear, as I have several stress concentrations and singularities in my elements near my supports and (as I lack experience in doing this) I don’t know which stress concentrations I should just ignore and which ones I should be careful with (even if I average the shear forces using the contour display tool). Also, I get very high concentrated reactions at the pin supports (either in compression or in uplift).

I was thinking to model these supports with a rigid beam element, but then the beam would take some moment and the slab would be fixed at that location. Do you have any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There needs to be an element of common sense when evaluating these models. If it's simply supported rectangular plate, the highest shears will be in the middle of the spans, where the plate tends to act in one way action. Sometimes there is a reversal of shear in the corners, as they try to physically rise up. this might result in some weird local stresses, but they shouldn't exceed the midspan ones.
Anyway, if any of your shears exceed a simply spanning beam load, you've got a stress concentration that you need to explain away.

If you model the walls as fixed pins, these will form couples with high tension and compression. The magnitude will be dependent on the distance between the nodes. I would consider changing you pin supports to springs or full wall models.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back