Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling stress relaxation in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm447

Bioengineer
Sep 19, 2007
US
Hi,

I am trying to model a stress relaxation experiment in ABAQUS. I am using cartilage material in the test and for modeling that I am using the soil analysis. The displacement of the indenter for each step is a ramp rising at constant velocity for t0 seconds and then constant over some prescribed time period. In order to do that, I defined two steps. One where the cartilage plug is being loaded, for which I set a velocity type boundary condition at the top surface, and a second step where I remove this BC to fix the position of the top surface and let the plug relax. When I plot the results it I don't see any relaxation. The second step shows constant stress (S22) - it's just looks like a ramp. I tried increasing the permeability just to see if it had any effect. However, it seems that the problem has nothing to do with the material properties, but with the way I am modeling the condition. This may be very trivial but I am just beginning to learn ABAQUS and appreciate any thoughts on this.
I can post my input file if needed.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back