Modelling one geometry several times due change in one dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazy01

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2015
MD
G'day all,

What is the common practice among finite element users when you have to build a number of models of similar geometry but with one changing parameter.

For example; Modeling specimen with varying crack length. DO I have to rebuild all the model (geometry, partition, meshing, analysis) for each case/model of crack length. To change the crack length, repeating all the process would be time-consuming but no complaints. could you please share your experience with a parametric study (changing one factor) by FE modeling. I am using Abaqus.

I run into an ANSYS user and he mentioned that Ansys users have the options to build a parametric model and then change this parameter (such as crack length, or thickness, dimensions) for each case.
Is that possible in ABAQUS or even ANSYS? what about 3D assembled model.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The parameter manager in the sketch module can be used to do this. You need to constrain your 2D sketch well for this to work. If done correctly you can update your dimensions using the parameter manager and the geometry, partitions, seeds and assembly will update automatically. Then you just click 'remesh part' and your model is ready to go.

It's also possible to write a small python script to loop through a list/array of parameters, update your model for each set of inputs, remesh, write an input deck etc. I've done this in the past with good success.

The parameter manager is discussed in the documentation

Dave442
Thanks for your comments
will be appreciated if you have time to follow up with these questions

Would you recommend parameter manage for 3D modeling --cracked plate? ..is it practical to adopt?
Can control the partition (keep it same) as well as the mesh size/pattern...
Do you still have the script that you used, or could you guide me to a template or a reference that used such scripts

Thanks

Yes - I've only ever used this approach for 3D modelling.

Most 3D parts are created using 2D sketches that define extrusions/revolutions/cuts and can be parameterized/constrained.

Using this approach you can update sketch parameters and geometric operations, partitions, seeds and assembly would update automatically.

For a cracked plate could you just parameterize a 2D sketch that is extruded by a thickness? That would be straightforward.

I cant share the script, but you can record a macro in CAE where you do the operations manually by hand.

The python code required to perform the operations is then written to a file and you can work from there to figure out the scripting.

See this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back