modelling prestress

Status
Not open for further replies.

elle53

Structural
Apr 16, 2015
GB
Hello all,

I am a new forum member and a relatively new user of Abaqus and I am trying to incorporate residual stresses in my numerical model. I am modelling a fully toughened glass plate with solid elements subjected to out of plane loads. The residual stresses are only changing through the thickness of the glass plate and have the shape of a parabola (compression on the outer surfaces and tension in the middle).

Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Korina

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@mustaine
If you read my question again you will see clearly that I'm asking about incorporating prestress in my model.

Fyi fully toughened glass is safety heat treated glass that has a favourable stress profile through its thickness (that's the parabolic stress profile I mentioned in my previous post).

Is there any way of incorporating this on Abaqus CAE without creating a separate step with temperature loading?

You can define initial stresses with predefined field in CAE or *Initial Conditions.
But usually it is easier to do a thermal analysis and to apply the temperature history during a static step to get the stresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back