Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modicon plc programming software tutorials 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

controlnot

Industrial
May 14, 2006
CA
I'am looking for Modicon plc programing courses of books that explain the modicon plc and programing as well as demo software for taylor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boy if I haven't been there recently!!

You need to understand that there are about 5 ways to program a "Modicon", Ladder logic , IEC, etc, etc, using several different programs: Concept, ProWORX, etc, etc. The world is broken up into groups who swear by each method/program. As you search for info your choice of which ever method/program should guide your hunt.

Here's the scoop.

There are a few companies who make training movies\material where you can buy this info. About a thousand bucks! I would imagine this stuff is pretty useful.

Snider Electric (owner of Square D, [maker of Modicon]), gives classes on the subject. Two day classes cost about $900 three day courses cost about $1200. They are given around the country regularly.

I suspect if you pay good attention you could go a long ways down your Modicon knowledge road via these classes.

See here:

[red]Note there is a '?' in this link I have provided. This means Eng-tips parser will screw up the link. You must cut and past it all to your web browser.[/red]

More hideously, they have a technical data web site that has hundreds of documents that explain probably most stuff including basic setup and use of each type of PLC and each of the umpteen different languages available for programming them, for example "Modicon 984 Latter Logic".

You have to dig a little and the web site, in a nutshell, SUCKS, but you can probably find what you need there.

There is a catch however! To get to that website you need a service contract! If you buy any of their software you generally get a one year service contract with it and so automatically get to use that knowledge base. If you haven't bought any software you have to purchase some sort of service contract. I would assume that there is a cheap one for just the data base. They ARE very helpful, and friendly, so you shouldn't hesitate to call and ask about what it takes to get onto the "eclipse site".

If you get into the site and have a problem ask, as I have waded through several confusing things that I can probably explain.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Controlnot,
Itsmoked is correct about the different types of languages that can be utilized.
From what you are asking though, I think that you are most interested in ladder logic. I worked for Modicon for almost 20 years and can give you a slew of recommendations.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back