Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modify equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000mustanggtguy

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
US
How do i modify a sheetmetal equation that controls the sheetmetal thickness ? All want to do is change sheetmetal thicknes from .09 to .06, solidworks says that the dimension is linked somehow, can anybody help me or do I delete the part and start over.

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Stangs rule!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

????? Was that humour [lol] or sarcasm [flame]?

Suggest using emoticons next time for clarity.

Did you find the answer to your question?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Personally I use the Design Table to control such a parameter, then you can use all the functions in excel which is a lot more powerful than Solidworks. I don't understand what you mean when you say the dim is linked??

Turn on "Show Dimension Names" and find the dimension name listed among the other equations. You may have to suppress an equation to change the dimension in question.

Yanceman

It is generally not a good idea to override the "thickness" variable; it would be better to modify this in the sheet metal tool you created it with, such as "Sheet-Metal1", or "Base-Flange1". Sheet metal is unique in that it is the only time a variable (thickness) is automatically created and can be linked to other features. After you create a sheet metal part, sketch a shape, and pick the Cut Extrude tool, and you will have a check box for "Link to thickness" for example.

If you use a sheet metal gauge table, then it would be good advice not to have the "thickness" variable in a design table because the design table will override the sheet metal gauge table (which also has your bend radii). Our sheet metal gauge table matches our tooling, so that is why I don't recommend it.

Flores
SW06 SP3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back