Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modify standard foundation wall and footing to shallow frost protected foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcowscarnival

Civil/Environmental
Sep 19, 2013
US
Spoke with a potential client today. Am seeking some suggestions for direction to proceed.

Situation. Standard rectangular house, 8' foundation wall on 8"x16" footing. Owner wants to significantly regrade the property and create a walkout area on the rear foundation wall. This area has an air freezing index of 1000 putting it at the minimum insulation requirement of the table. No horizontal, 12" minimum vertical (more than minimum will be used however).

Question: Height of footing is 8 inches, the top of the interior slab is 4 inches above the top of footing. An exterior patio would be constructed to match interior FFE. The vertical insulation would not be continuous and would jog over the footing: does this meet the intent of the code? Can high density foam be exposed to elements, i.e. between the exterior patio slab and the foundation wall? What options would there be for protecting that exposed edge? Maybe furring strips with siding on the exposed wall and flash over the insulation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some foams have UV inhibitors; it's normal practice to provide a covering to the insulation so it is not exposed.

Dik

Here in Wisconsin it is common to ether place a Masonite type cover over exposed foam board or paint it with some form of cover like a plaster paint. Some of that paint works fine, but others peal off in time.

As to your slab outside, I's set that on 2" or better foam board, closed cell, to at least 4 feet out. Elsewhere I'd bury some of that board some and have that extend out from the footing at least 4 feet. You want to make the cold travel at last 4 feet before it gets to a footing.

I did these treatments for an added exterior entrance and it has worked fine for about 7 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back