Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modify the default CATPart / CATProduct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hix066

Automotive
Apr 26, 2013
GB
I'm trying to find a method to ensure that all new parts and products are created from a template CATPArt / CATProduct that has been created.
I am fully aware of the new from command, but many users in the company are new to V5 and as such they will invariably use file> new or insert ne part/ product.
I have tried tweaking environment settings to change CATReferenceSettingsPath=PathToYourProjectDirectory & CATCollectionStandard=PathToYourTemplateDirectory but this still didn't result in new parts being taken from the templates.
I've been searching for days, and as usual documentation is sparse and GPT just sends you chasing your tail with guesses as to how to achieve this that don't necessarily work in V5.
I could write a macro that means folks could click a button for a new part or product but this still doesn't solve the file> new or insert new issue.
If anyone can advise, I'm all ears.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are numerous ways a user can create a new part, there's no point in trying to block them all.

Control parts being pushed in your repository/shared directory instead. It can be done with a monitoring script that rejects all non-template parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back