Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying Grate Elevation on an Existing, Atypical, Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivestring

Civil/Environmental
Mar 30, 2007
US
I am working with a municipality to improve an intersection and a drainage issue at the intersection. At the intersection is an inlet with a frame and grate. However the structure is a large concrete box, almost like a septic tank, instead of a typical manhole structure. The frame and grate is inset into the top of the box and the top is exposed. I may be looking at raising the grate elevation a bit and back-filling the intersection shoulder around the inlet. I was wondering what might be the best way to go about that. I was thinking of maybe using a round-to-square adapter to place on top of the existing box but I don't know the best way to attach it to the box. I may be totally off with my idea so I appreciate any assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not changing the size or shape; but I might have to adjust the elevation. I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture. It is like having a frame and grate embedded into the top lid of a septic tank. Thinking out loud here, maybe a way to adjust the grate elevation is to set rebar into the top of the structure and hand form a concrete riser for the grate to sit in.

You may be able to find square adjustment rings that would work too, like those used for adjusting manholes and catch basins to finished grade. If the grate is a standard size this is more likely.

#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back