Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying NEMA enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
I have a lighting panelboard and local control panel mounted in seperate NEMA 1 enclosures. These enclosures are located outdoors, where a NEMA 3R enclosure should have been provided. Does anyone know of any aftermarket kits that can be used to modify these NEMA 1 enclosures to a NEMA 3R ennclosure.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hoffman, I think, makes kits for some enclosures to convert from NEMA1 to NEMA3R. Drip/rain shields and SS hinge pins are included. If your enclosures are Hoffman and converted as instructed then the UL classification stays. If some other manufacturers enclosures are converted I think the UL label would not be valid, if that matters. Any conduit penetrations on top and sides need hubs or seals.

Steve

A bigger NEMA 3R enclosure in which you can mount the NEMA 1 enclosure?

The differences are significant enough that it may not be possible at all. If the NEMA 1 enclosure has any knockouts you will be completely out of luck. Most NEMA 1 doors/covers are also so different from NEMA 3R that even if you have a solid box, you might not be able to get a door/cover that would be acceptable.

The kits referred to above to not "convert" the rating, they only accomodate an increased drgree of protection from dripping water whyen the door is open.

UL / NEMA ratings have two designations: the protection of the interior from the elements and the protection of the enclosure itself from the elements. NEMA 1 and NEMA 12 are both classified as "Indoor use Only" and cannot be used outdoors regardless of what kits you install. Look on the inside of the door, it says either "Indoor Use" or "Suitable for Outdoor Use". If it says Indoor, the paint and pre-treatment are insufficient to withstand the rigors of outdoor exposure to the elements. NEMA 3R, the lowest level of outdoor use enclosure, is subjected to a salt spray test as an accelerated aging procedure.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back