Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modular Home Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philitup

Structural
Nov 9, 2000
CA
Greetings Forumer's,

OK ... Heres the Readers Digest version...

Client calls last week with urgent request to approve relocated modular home. Fine, went to site and looked at what was done.

Modular home is 14 ft. wide, 64 ft long. Longitudinal beam lines 2' in from each end approximately ... 10' centre to centre. Beam is rectangular HSS ( 1-1/2" wide, 12" deep, wall thickness unknown)

He placed supports along existing tubular beam lines provided by Manufacturer at 2' in from each end and 15' on centre thereafter. So, there are 10 foundation support locations overall.

My experience tells me the spacing between supports is excessive. There is no recommended spacing available thru the manufacturer, plans not available.

The hollow tube section beam would need to be exposed in order to determine section properties.

the Contractor has placed this mobile home on untreated timber cribbing. This is fine for temporary purposes.

I recommended he use pressure treated lumber and a wedge system for adjustment. Also recommended he provide 2 additional support locations increasing total number of supports to 12 from 10 currently there.

Also, there should be some anchorage using unreinforced concrete in at least four locations ( wind/earthquake). Location is low risk seismic.

Any other advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Philitup

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out HUD's publications. They have a "manual" for modular home foundations. I have never seen a modular home foundation that would meet the HUD requirements, but it does have some very interesting points. Use 'Google' and search for HUD modular homes, foundations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back