Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modulus of rigidity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilEduard

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi all,

Can anybody tell me where to get the modulus of rigidity of pipe or is this figure calculable? I need the modulus of rigidity of 2" to 6" sch. 40 pipe. Thanks for help and tips.

Regards,

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you can see from vooter, the modulus of rigidity is material dependent, not geometry dependent. It doesn't matter what size pipe you have, the modulus of rigidity, or shear modulus, will be the same. You need to know the modulus of elasticity E and Poisson's ratio v of your material. Are you looking for something else instead and just messed up the terminology?

Thanks a lot for your help Vooter. Thanks a lot Ucfse, and yes too quick to estimate something out of a pipe as a shaft, I never even thought about this as a constant just like modulus of elasticity. I have never used this figure before and never was involved in any shafting design. I just realized this are your specialties (structural). Thanks a lot for your help and enlightenment.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back