Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modulus of Rupture 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardyParty

Structural
Apr 10, 2012
US
For the slender wall method (Chapter 14.8 in ACI 318-08) the modulus of rupture is listed as 7.5*lambda*sqrt(f'c).

For structurally plain concrete (Chapter 22 of the same code), it is given as 5 * lambda * sqrt(f'c).

Why are these values different? Why is the modulus stronger for the slender wall method?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think that for plain concrete you might want to be a little more conservative, where with slender walls, you have reinforcing that can mitigate an overload and also maybe some compressive load... also with pavements, depending on the application, you could be looking at 8 or 9 as the factor.

Dik

I have also had this question in the past.

I had thought about conservatism, but there are phi factors present for this. The code also requires plain concrete to be in overall compression.

To add more to this, if I pour my little beam on the job site and test it in three or four point bending I will be testing a plain concrete beam, regardless if my pour is actually reinforced. Is the resulting modulus of rupture from the lab analogous to ACI 14.8 or ACI chapter 22?

I don't think that Chapter 22 states that the modulus of rupture is 5*sq rt f'c. What it says is that the nominal moment capacity is S*(5*sq rt f'c). You can make the case that the implication is that the modulus of rupture used is 5*sq rt f'c, but I'm not sure I see it that way. It's likely just additional conservatism built into the equations.

The 7.5*sq rt f'c is for deflections only. It isn't a strength calculation.

MacGregor & Wight note that the mean modulus of rupture is 8.3*sq rt f'c, so the 7.5 makes sense for deflections. 5*sq rt f'c is closer to the lower bound value, which would make sense for strength calculations. MacGregor & Wight have a 3 page explanation of it if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back