Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moisture Meter Readings Inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateVelocity

Industrial
Jun 1, 2001
US
I am a Q.C. Lab manager for a precast concrete company. Needless to say we have our own in-house batch plant. The percentage of moisture in the fine aggregate is critical to preparing a proper batch of concrete per mix design. We have a moisture meter installed in our F.A. bin near the jog opening, where the sand is gravity fed onto a scale. The meter reading is then input into our batch computer by hand. It is important that there is no guesswork when inputting this percentage, so I take steps to calibrate the meter at least once per month. However, variences of nearly two percent within a 24 hour period have concerned me. It seems, since the meter works on conductivity, that when the hopper is very full the sand near the meter would be more densely packed and the meter reads nearly 1% moisture above actual moisture, and when the hopper is empty it reads nearly 1% lower. Is this possible? If so, what can I do to improve the accuracy of the moisture readings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back