Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mold Wizard Customize 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbylls

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2011
US
I have been asked to look into adding our own parts to the Mold Wizard standard parts library in NX8
I have been able to add parts to other vendors libraries, but I would like to build our own.
When I click on "Standard Parts" on the Mold Wizard tool bar, a dialog box comes up that has DME, HASCO, PROGRESSIVE, etc
Where can add our company name to this list and start building our library?
Does this come from a file, or somewhere buried in UG?
Adding the parts seems faily simple. It is getting them in the right library that seems to be a hassle.
Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's some information on this in the help files. It changed after NX7.5 so launch your help files and go to
Home -> Tooling Design -> Mold Design -> Mold Design help -> Standard parts -> Customizing the standard part library
You basically copy an existing library and edit the information, that should get you started.
(NOTE: I haven't tried it myself but let me know how you get on.

Hi,
I did some customization for Mold Wizard (adding customized stacks in the library) some years back.As pointed out by Deedub777 since the customization methodolgy have changed after NX7.5 so my comments may not be true.(Since i did it on NX4 :) as far as i remember)
This customization used to be an excel (or XS4) driven customization.After you create your customized parts/assemblies .The expression intelligence is put in this excel file (this basically creates the structure of the dialog file) Apart from this a snapshot (i guess a .bmp) is required and finallythis new entry as a whole (the customized part/assembly you created) was required to be registered in a registry file (sorry i forgot the name of that registry file.Also the bmp/part file and the excel files were required to be in specific folders.

As a beginner you can always take reference from the already existing excel (for HASCO/DME etc) which will help you understand the way it works inside NX.

Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

Thanks for the help.
Do you know how I can add our name to the list of companies already provided (DME, HASCO, PROGRESSIVE, etc)?

We found a tutorial in the NX 7.5 help library under "Manufacturing design tools-> Mold and Die tools tutorials -> Working with standard parts in Mold Design" It will help alot.
I have been wondering why there is not a company that does nothing but maintain and create standard parts. It seems there would be a large market for it.

Thanks for the help Jimmyv44. Lots of good stuff there.
But I am still trying to find how to change the list of vendors at the top of the Standard Parts Management dialog box.
Where it lists DME; OMNI; PROGRESSIVE; YATES; etc.
I would like to change this list and put our own company in there and use our own parts.
Thanks.

OK, got it.. follow these steps...

Make sure you know where your MOLDWIZARD_DIR env var is pointing (search for it in your log file to be sure)
In (windows) explorer, navigate to this location and find the existing libraries
eg: ...\standard\metric (or inch)
Create your company folder (mycompany in this example) at the same level as dme, etc.
Using the dme folder as a template, copy dme_mm.xls and moldwizard_catalog.txt into your new directory
edit the excel spreadsheet name from dme_mm to mycompany_mm
open the moldwizard_catalog.txt file and edit like this:

from
DME_MM /standard/metric/dme/dme_mm.xs4
to
MYCOMPANY /standard/metric/dme/MYCOMPANY_mm.xs4

Now in NX open the Reuse library and RMB on MW Standard Part Library and pick refresh. MYCOMPANY library should be there.

Thanks deedub777
That did it. It worked GREAT.
Adding the parts seems easy. Just needed to know how to add us.
Thanks again.

Hi Everyone,

Anybody willing to share there custom moldwizard parts like Cams/Slides ect..?
I'm running NX 8.0.2.2 with moldwizard, and I am also trying to put parts in moldwizard, if so let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back