Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Molding of Table Hockey Pucks- Lexan, HIPS, or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a20202020

Industrial
May 25, 2006
CA
We need to produce robust table hockey pucks. What will be the ideal material and method?
How are air hockey pucks made? Lexan seems to be the standard material, but what is its cost compared to HIPS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LEXAN costs more, in some cases 2x as much, as HIPS. Also take into account that polycarbonate's density is about 20% higher than HIPS. Something like this would be injection molded.

You would have to make enough parts to cover the tooling/mold costs which for a puck the tooling would not be complicated. As for material decisions PC has better impact properties in the less than 0.187" thickness but is also more mallable without fillers. How much do you want the puck to weigh since the dimensions are probably fixed. Take the specific gravity into consideration. Adding glass fibers will stiffen either material but will affect the surface finish. Middle ground is ABS and ABS/PC alloys.

Mike

Our puck is 1.5 inch diameter by 1/3 inch thick. It should be as light as possible. I guess HIPS is a better decision then...
Metron, are your pucks toys for children or for some table game?

I was thinking air hockey pucks but given the wall dimension of 1/3 inch thick you may want to take metron's advice about a foam additive. The foam or blowing agent will reduce the weight and improve the material wall appearance which may "sink" when it cools.

Mike

Sorry for the late reply,
We haven't moulded these in a while, but from what I can remember about the mould - they are about 125mm Dia and 30-40mm thick. Moulded wall thickness is 6-8mm rotational moulded and then foam filled with a cellulose two part high density foam. To be honest I'm not sure if these are the real thing or for a air hockey table, I'll get back to you on that, after speaking to our Marketing Manager.
I would think they would be the real thing given the diameter of the puck.

I have it wrong, we mould Table Hockey Pucks, 80mm Diameter
and foam filled. I found in our store Friday.
Material is HDPE and wall thickness at a guess is about 4mm.
Weight is 125gms.
Hope that helps.

Look at the material and process used by your competitors. Do you want it heavier or lighter, special features? Then put it out for quote at local molding shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back