Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moment Connection at stud wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyypk

Structural
Sep 29, 2004
US
I am reviewing one of my " senior " Engineer works and came across this details.

The existing stud wall is over stressed due to the new install roof screen. (moment @ the base of the parapet wall is over-stressed)

To reinforce the wall, He claimed he will use the Simpson CS coiled strap to wrap around the studs and use that as a moment connection.

Question:

1) Is the Simpson allowed to bend "three" times to maintain the tension capacity?

2) Is it qualify as a moment connection??

3) Is that " Moment connection" help to reinforce the over-stressed studs?

My suggestion to my head engineer will be

1) Add kicker to the parapet wall
2) Reinforce the 2x6 parapet wall by sistering a 2x6 to the side. (length determined by moment capacity.)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9043a136-9464-48ac-a9e3-0595cce7118e&file=moment_conneciton_1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No to 1, 2, & 3. Your alternate suggestion is fine but, frankly, I'm surprised that the parapet studs need any help at all. As drawn, the parapet looks to be about 2' tall.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Agreed. That strap won't develop tension because of the bends. Even if they were straight, they would need to stretch a bit to develop.

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.

-R. Buckminster Fuller

I'm with Koot on this one for 1 2 and 3.

I'm assuming though that the roof screen that is not shown on the reinforcing detail. Otherwise why would you need a ridiculously sized top plate and 2x10 blocking on the inside face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back