Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moment distribution in a masonry panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

As-Lag

Structural
Aug 6, 2019
GB
Hello

I am wanting to assess the moment on an internal pier caused through wind. I attach a picture of the problem below.

The pier (outlined red) is what remains of the rear wall of the house. Originally, this pier would have been 1400 mm deep but it has been reduced to 665 mm. I have calculated the wind pressure (0.77 kN/sq.m) and I know the vertical-forces, now I want to apply these forces to the pier. I am assuming the wind force will transmit through the panel of masonry (coloured blue). The return and pier provide restraint to the panel. I am assuming the upper-floors are sufficiently restained horizontally to resist sway so the pier may be analysed as a propped cantilever.

I am having a mental-block on the correct way to analyse the problem. If the panel does tranfer the forces to the pier as with reinforced concrete panel transfers the loads to the pier, I could use a triangular distribution of the wind action but being brick, the wall has differing flexural strengths. The horizontal stress is 0.4 and vertical 1.1 N/sq.mm, therefore the orthoginal ration is 0.36. And that is where I am at. I need to find out the ratio of moment that the pier will take.

Secondly. I need to calculate the sway in the building. The upper-floors are rigid so the movement would be at first-floor level. I have worked out the horizontal shear-stress as 0.007 N/sq.mm at the top of the pier.

Any tips or links to similar answered problems would be gratefully received.

Regards
Pier_qtvvu3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back