Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moment equations based on lateral movement of a rigid body 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

186skier

Structural
Nov 11, 2014
US
What is equation for moment created from a lateral movement of a rigid body.
I have attached example from STERM based on a fixed-Fixed condition = M =6EI&/H^2 and I believe it is 4EI&/H^2 at pinned end and 2EI&/H^2 and fixed end.
See attached for example and point me in the right direction of see if you can solve the problem #2.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fb00cf59-807c-4792-99f9-60f34dc022a6&file=041723_Moment_Equations_for_Rigid_Bodies.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the problem is being a bit misunderstood here. The rigid body expands (poor analogy) by 1". The top of the columns move away from the pin connection at the bottom by some distance horizontally.

Its nothing more than a cantilever / free column turned on its head. Think of the support (pin) as a point load causing the displacement and use cantilever beam formulas to solve this. Looks like and SE exam question "D

-Moment does not develop at pinned end ,

- the moment developing at fixed end for the lateral expansion/movement of the ( fixed or pinned end ) M =3EI&/H^2

support_settlement_etc_wsdtbn.jpg

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

your first calc seems to be for a frame with fixed supports, your 2nd sketch seems to be pinned supports ?

I would expect lateral reactions (in opposite directions) at the pinned supports, balanced by a moment and lateral load at the fixed end of the leg.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Solve for the displacement, then use that to determine the fixed end moments. THEN use the FEM along with moment distribution method. You could probably use some other analysis technique too. There is extra moment carryover to the fixed bases if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back