Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moment of Inertia for a 2D section view in drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerosandy

Jun 22, 2005
US
Hi there,
I would like to know whether, there is any way I could get the 2D moment of inertia values of a section view in drafting module.

Also like to know, if I could get the 2D moment of inertia values from a split assembly (MI for whole assembly), I was able to get MI values for individual parts, but not the whole assembly as such. I'am using Catia V5 R14.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't attempt to use the drafting module for moment of inertia. I would use a plane (in the part model) to extract a section, (if you don't already have a planar surface, make one) analyze using the "measure inertia" tool, and then before closing the analysis window, use the "create geometry" button. With the resulting point, you can go to your view in the drawing, right click, select "properties," and then under the "view" tab, go to "Dress Up," and select the button labeled "3D points." It will now show in the drawing. You can either duplicate it, (fake) or leave it showing, depending on whether you want to display other points, or not.

Please note, that while I have said to use the part, instead of the assembly for analyzing this way, you can easily bounce in and out of models without getting confused, by using the Edit -> Links menu. From there, you can select your model from a list, and either double click, or use the "Open" button to bring it in as a stand alone part, without fumbling your position in the assembly tree. (and just close it without saving when you are finished, if you choose)

As for the assembly - you just need to hold down the Control key while selecting. Select assembly components from the tree, (while holding Control) and you should notice that as you do so, the text box called "selection" will change from a single instance, to a value called "multiselection."

Hope that helps

Check out CATBlog!

I should also tell you that you may have difficulty analyzing between products that have both solid and surface geometry defined in the same structure.

Check out CATBlog!

AeroSandy...

I don't have V4 anymore to verify this, but try adding a pattern (shape) to your section, and then analyze the shape. I think it will include some of the information you're looking for.

If it's a 2D section, it won't be Mass Inertia, will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back