Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moment slab on Sheet Pile wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFarley

Structural
Jul 16, 2003
US
Does anyone have a design example or other reference for for a concrete traffic barrier/moment slab atop a sheet pile wall resisting live load impact? The concept would be similar to a barrier mounted on top of an MSE wall.

I am looking to be able to assess stability of the barrier/slab and correctly transfer the impact forces into the sheet pile.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check AASHTO. It gives a vehicle impact load (I think it's 10 kips) acting at the top of the Jersey Barrier (about 2'-8" above the roadway). AASHTO lets you distribute the load over 5 LF of wall. Therefore, you have a load (10 kips) , a distribution (2 klf), and a location. Add it to your sheeting design.

PEinc,

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the AASHTO requirements, but I thought there might me something more to a moment slab/barrier system. Is it feasible to assume that there is some resistance to the horizontal force by friction between the slab and the subgrade?

I have designed cantilevered and tiedback soldier beam walls where I mounted the barrier on top of the soldier beams. There was no moment slab. The barrier and sheeting wall became one. If you have a moment slab, I would think that the wall would need to be designed for the horizontal force due to the moment slab sliding against the wall but that the wall would not need to be designed for moment due to the barrier trying to overturn. Agree?

Friction would help prevent the moment slab from sliding but that force would push on the dirt which would push on the wall (as I said above).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back