Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moment transfer from flat slabs to columns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockley

Structural
Jan 26, 2006
CH
Hi there - I am a structural engineer with what is rather a basic question relating to the design of reinforced concrete flat slabs and columns. The ISTRUCTE publication "Manual for the Design of Reinforced Concrete Building Structures" gives guidlines for the design of such elements but I am unclear as to the stage at which the ability of the slab to transmit the out-of balance design moments to the columns is checked.

I would be grateful if you could point me to a reference that gives details of the mechanism assumed for the tranfer of moments from the slab to the columns and to a method of checking the capacity of this mechanism.

The background to this question is that I am invoved in the conversion of an existing building where we are cutting holes in the slabs. Once the holes are cut we will be left with a strip of slab running parallel to a set of perimeter columns that is effectively cantilevering from the columns. Whilst I suspect that the columns can carry this moment, I have my doubts, given the original reinforcement details, about the ability of the slab to transfer these moments to the columns and would like to check this explicitly.

Any pointers you can give will be gratefully received.

With best regards,
Matthew Hockley

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The slab is assumed to transfer the moment to the columns via torsion on the 2 sides of the column perpindicular to the edge and directly through the face of the column. The width of this strip and max transferable moment is determined from BS-8110 clause 3.7.4.2. The moment capacity will be determined by the amount of reinforcement within this strip.

A good guide to this is found in CIRIA Report 10 "Design of reinforced concrete flat slabs to BS-8110".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back