Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moment transfer through weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Althalus

Structural
Jan 21, 2003
US
I'm thinking that the project specifcations team has not looked at the load path carefully enough. But maybe I'm missing something.

[ol 1]
[li]I have an embed plate that has an array of nelson studs welded to it.[/li]
[li]The studs are embedded on the underside of a concrete structure.[/li]
[li]On the underside of the embed plate is an HSS being used as a hanger for a large trolley. It is welded to the embed plate via fillet weld all around.[/li]
[/ol]

Now the loading:

[ol 1]
[li]When the trolley is loaded at one of the hangers, there is a lot of load on the embed plate through the HSS.[/li]
[li]That weight pulls down on the embed plate at locations between Nelson studs. I'm thinking that this is a problem.[/li]
[li]The project procedures dictate that we only check for shear and tension on the studs. The logic being that since the studs are 100% embedded in concrete, there is no moment. They can't bend.[/li]
[li]That may be so. But when the HSS is pulling at a location between studs, then the plate acts as a beam which is rigidly supported by the studs.[/li]
[li]Unless there is some justification that says the plate simply won't tear away from the studs, I believe it will tear away from the studs.[/li]
[/ol]

[ol 1]
[li]The studs are 5/8" diameter.[/li]
[li]The plate is 1.25" thick.[/li]
[li]When modeling the studs as a fixed support for the plate, I get a large moment at the studs/supports.[/li]
[li]That's fine for the plate. But it is too big if the resisting area (the weld between the plate and the anchor) is based on the 5/8" (circle) stud.[/li]
[/ol]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your plate should be thick enough that assuming it as rigid is a safe assumption i.e. it won't rotate enough to cause any issues. 1-1/4" sounds like it may be depending on the actual loads and dimensions.

I would also suggest either making a post in the structural engineering general discussion forum with a link to this post or deleting this post and reposting in the structural engineering general discussion forum in order to get more views and responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back