Status
Not open for further replies.

redbone7

Structural
Jul 20, 2024
US
MOMENT2_xqcgk9.png
Screenshot_2024-07-22_070524_MOMENT1_wc30gn.png
As a fabricator I've been given detail (notes only) for multiple sized WF beams w/moment welds to a HSS column with procedure noted as cut, add continuity plate, splice col. however multiple sized beams seems to make this crazy to me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no detail but it sounds like this is what your talking about.
Screen-Shot-2016-12-13-at-2.30.36-PM-e1589316312574_zei3om.png

Except that there are multiple beams framing at the same elevation and they are of different depths.

Is that what your thinking this is as well??

We have the ability shim between the plates for bolted or welded connections, but there are limitations to that thickness.

It will be an expensive detail, but I think the EOR wants multiple through plates, one at the top flange of all of the beams, and one at the bottom flange of each beam.

DaveAtkins

It seems a little crazy to me too. Hopefully there's a good reason for it rather than just optimizing beam weight at the expense of connection cost.

If you have the latitude to do so, it might advantageous to shift the locations of the splicing around to be better suit fabricaton. See one option below. This, admittedly, probably make the column less friendly to ship.

c01_qplipn.jpg

Can you run the steel beam over the column and put a small cantilever on the beam? How much of a moment on the end?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

You should consider joining the STI. The membership is very reasonable and the informatiion/material available is excellent.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back