Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monel 400 stud 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marke525

Mechanical
Apr 20, 2006
US
I have a customer who requires studs to meet SA-193 (Grade B7) , we currently use Monel 400. From what I've been able to find out this material is not SA-193, but does it exceed SA-193? And if so is it generally an acceptable practice to substitute a higher grade material for SA-193?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No (& don't presume which material is superior, either).
See ASTM A193/A193M, 'Standard Specification for Alloy-Steel and Stainless Steel Bolting Materials for High Temperature or High Pressure Service and Other Special Purpose Applications.'

Monel 400 might have better corrosion resistance in some applications at lower temperatures, but A193 is a specification for high temperature material. The Monel 400 may anneal, weaken & fail in use.

Since you referenced an ASME Material specification in lieu of an ASTM Standard Specification, I would strongly suggest you review ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II, Part D for allowable bolting materials, and corresponding allowable stress values.

Monel bolting is listed under ASME SB 164, and is limited to service temperature at or below 900 deg F depending on condition and use in service. So, read up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back