Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mono Shock Gas Chamber Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysus

Automotive
Nov 3, 2005
GB
I would be grateful if anyone here can tell me what the minimum gas chamer size should be for a given stroke (I know this depends on rod diameter - hence volume) or what is considered a minimum volume for safe working conditions without to much heat build up due to compression? Are there any formula that are used as a first principle?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Jim (jim.nelms@gmail.com)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gas chambers are sized to maintain optimal gas pressures. Too small a chamber and gas pressure will either be too low extended or too high compressed. Although less critical, to big a chamber and pressure will either be high extended or low compressed. Pressure needs to be kept high enough to avoid cavitation and keep seals seated, and low enough to not blow or wear them out. Race and/or off-road applications can require higher gas pressures because of higher piston speeds. This usually means faster wear. A loose rule of thumb is around 2 to 3 times shaft displacement.

Thank you Fabrico, I shall incorporate your information into a range of shocks that I am going to be manufacturing, I do have a design which is losely based on the mono tube but works fine at 1 bar and cavitation is avoided as it does not rely on the gas charge pressure.

Kind regrds,

Jim Nelms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back