Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monolithic isolating joint vs isolating flange kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyLu

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2012
TW
The sub-sea pipeline land on the earth , then into the station of storage oil .
Between the land point of pipeline and the station will use external current of cathodic protection .
To avoid the current into the station . What isolating device is the best choice near sea ?

In terms of Safety , Cost , Maintenance .

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no experience with sub-sea application, but believe the following advantages for monolithic joint:- less risk of leaks, no possibility of crevices for corrosion to attack, less maintenance. Isolating flanges are cheaper.

If you expect movement in high stress locations, a mono should serve better. If you have a location offshore, at a tie-in with clamps on either side of the pipe with flange, where movement is not expected to be excessive and there is adequate flexibility around the area in question such that high axial forces are not going to be troublesome, a flange kit should be OK. I've used flange kits offshore, on platforms and undersea and onshore too, above ground and underground. In short, I've used a whole lot more flange kits than monos.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back