Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

more fiber laser safety concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

krugtech

Industrial
Feb 3, 2010
US
the open source crowd is playing with high power fiber lasers. I'm concerned about safety for everyone involved. In the USA we have more lawyers than smart people. This could be very bad for our industry. How do we solve this? I'm sure it's coming, how do we get ahead of this issue? I see a flareup in eye damage.

We can't stop it, we can let it happen or we can get ahead of it.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Stupid is as stupid does" applies here. I don't think there's much one can do, just like it's no longer possible to prevent people from blinding each other with laser pointers, or prevent drones from colliding with helicopters or planes.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You're running down a road that has no pick-up service... as IR said, there's nothing you can do. It will have zero effect on industry... even if the average Joe can own a 40W CO@ or fiber laser at home, it won't have any effect on the 4kW system in someone's work bay.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

At least, with a fiber laser, it's intended to cut stuff, so there's no excuse for not following safety protocols; a laser pointer, on the other hand, causes me to duck and cover when the presenter turns to speak to the audience and still has his thumb on the trigger.

I've got green lasers labeled as less than 1 mW, but you can see the diffracted light coming off the air molecules in the room, even with the room lights ON

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back